Give it a try – you’re students will be so engaged!
This Escape Room for Reading Comprehension is filled with fun activities to help students practice the reading strategy of identifying author’s purpose (i.e., PIE and PIE’ED), perspective, and point of view.
The 360 immersive environment is themed! Students “break into” the New Year while playing author’s purpose activities!
This is a DIGITAL Escape Room for Reading Comprehension and Author’s Purpose Activities. Just give students the link and watch them learn!
This Escape Room for Reading Comprehension requires students to answer several types of questions related to the reading strategy of identifying author’s purpose.
There are 8 fun puzzles in this Escape Room for Author’s Purpose. All puzzles relate to the reading strategy of identifying author’s purpose and include:
- jigsaw puzzle
- identification maze
- word search
- decoder puzzle
- google slides activity
- short and long reading passages and
- 20 multiple-choice questions about author’s purpose, point of view, and perspective.
Types of questions in this reading comprehension escape room:
- What is the author’s purpose in this passage?
- What is the author’s main point?
- Which reason (or part of the passage) supports the author’s main point?
- In what point of view is the text written?
- The author used the word . . . to communicate:
- Which sentence tells the importance of . . .
This reading comprehension escape room is appropriate for the following grades:
There are TWO CLUE SHEETS within the Reading Comprehension Escape Room for students who need support.
Each Clue Sheet makes a fun sound when students click on it, so you’ll know which groups are using them to support their reading comprehension.
EASY TO USE
- This fun Reading Comprehension Escape Room is EASY to use!
- Just give students the link!
- Tell them there are Tip Sheets located at the question marks
- Tell students to have scratch paper and a pencil.
- Your Fun Reading Comprehension Lesson Plan is covered!
This Fun Reading Comprehension Escape Room has these activities:
1. A link to a 360, immersive digital escape room with 8 challenges,
2. 2 Clue Sheets (within the escape room) to support students’ reading comprehension
3. An Answer Key for Teachers
4. A video for teachers that shows how to use the fun Reading Comprehension Escape Room
5. Reflection Sheet for students who finish the Reading Comprehension Escape Room
SUPPORTS READING COMPREHENSION STRATEGIES AND AUTHOR’S PURPOSE
This Fun Reading Comprehension Activity is a 360 digital escape room filled with PIE’ED activities to support students growth in the reading strategy of identifying the author’s purpose.
We recommend that students be exposed to PIE and PIE’ED Activities before having fun with this Reading Comprehension Escape Room!
Author’s Purpose (including point of view and perspective) is reviewed inside this fun reading comprehension escape room.
Students will have a blast while they are learning!
WHY TEACHERS LOVE THIS READING COMPREHENSION ESCAPE ROOM
1. This Reading Comprehension Escape Room has 2 Tip Sheets inside the virtual 360 immersive environment.
2. You can keep track of which groups use the tip sheet because a funny sound will alert you
STUDENTS LOVE FUN AUTHOR’S PURPOSE READING COMPREHENSION PASSAGES INSIDE AN ESCAPE ROOM BECAUSE:
1. All the PIE and PIE’ED activities occur inside a 360 immersive digital environment
2. It’s almost like a video game!
PRINCIPALS AND PARENTS WILL LOVE THIS FUN READING COMPREHENSION ESCAPE ROOM BECAUSE:
1. Students practice identifying the 5 main reasons authors write (PIE’ED). Every puzzle is an author’s purpose PIE activity!
2. The fun activities provide a rigorous, standards-based activity to review Author’s Purpose (as well as Point of View and Perspective).
3. Students become leaders and work independently and collaboratively
BEFORE YOU PURCHASE THIS PRODUCT . . .MAKE SURE the following are NOT blocked by your school:
Check out my blog about using resources to bring joy to your teaching life!
The fun activities in this reading comprehension escape room draw on a number of reading strategies, including, but not limited to author’s purpose and the following:
COMMON CORE (Grades 4 & 5)
Quote accurately from a text when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text.
Explain how an author uses reasons and evidence to support particular points in a text.
ELA 5.5f, ELA 5.5g, ELA 5.5i, ELA 5.5l
The student will read and demonstrate comprehension of fictional texts, narrative nonfiction, and poetry.
f) Identify and ask questions that clarify various points of view.
g) Identify main idea.
i) Draw conclusions and make inferences from text.
l) Use reading strategies throughout the reading process to monitor comprehension.
FLORIDA (4th and 5th grade)
Author’s Purpose, Point of View and Perspective Standards for Florida:
Identify the narrator’s point of view
Explain the difference between a narrator’s point of view and character perspective
Describe how an author develops a character’s perspective in a literary text.
TEKS ELA.5.10.A and ELA.5.10.E
Author’s purpose and craft: listening, speaking, reading, writing, and thinking using multiple texts. The student uses critical inquiry to analyze the authors’ choices and how they influence and communicate meaning within a variety of texts. The student analyzes and applies author’s craft purposefully in order to develop his or her own products and performances.
(A) explain the author’s purpose and message within a text;
(E) identify and understand the use of literary devices, including first- or third-person point of view
This item is a paid digital download from my MbT store. This purchase is for use in ONE classroom by ONE teacher only. This item is bound by copyright laws. Redistributing, editing, selling, or posting – in whole or in part – on any computer that allows access by anyone other than the single purchaser is a violation of copyright laws, unless express written consent is granted. Violations are subject to the penalties of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. District pricing and posting information can be found by contacting [email protected]