Running book clubs in your classroom is an effective and engaging way to get students invested in reading and students participating!
The standards for speaking and listening align perfectly with students participating in Book Clubs! The trick to making this a successful enterprise in your classroom is ORGANIZATION! Help your students keep track of the when, where, and how much, all while having discussion questions for book clubs ready to go!
Included in this pack is:
- Lesson plan on how to get the book clubs set up and running.
- The planning sheet that the kids use to help guide them through an INDEPENDENTLY run book club meeting.
- A page to record thick questions that will be asked at the next book club meeting.
- Thick question cards.
- Make it yourself Book Club Rule Booklet with directions on how to make the booklets with your kids…or have a parent help you make them! These can also be cut apart and made into flip booklets.
- Cards with questions to ask yourself before, during, and after reading.
- Self-Evaluation/Reflection page for kids to reflect on their book club experience.
- Teacher Grading Rubric
The lesson plan will help you get started and a planning sheet for the students will help students stay focused and engaged. The best part is that the kids will have fun during book clubs and learn a ton!
Check out what others are saying:
Patricia W. says: “Thank you so much for creating this! I’m having a difficult time this year getting my Language Arts block organized. There’s so many resources but most act as if you already know where to begin or it’s just fluff. I needed something that says here is exactly how to set up book clubs. Here’s a strategy to keep it on track. This is so perfect!”
Stefanie T. says: “LOVE IT! Just like everything else you produce Hilary, this is perfect! I love how everything is broken down so easily that the kids can do it without me. THANKS!!!”
Katie D. says: “This has it all! I was trying to find a book clubs packet to give to a substitute to use during my maternity leave and this is perfect! Everything is spelled out for you!“
Tanya V. says: “Love this! I can’t wait to use this. I have a small class, but four are below grade level. The structure of the packet will help keep them on task. I’m going to show the class your video too. They love seeing other students in action.”
Andrea S. says: “I love book clubs and so do my students. This is a great resource to help your students own responsibility for the book clubs and not lose their enjoyment of the books. Thank you!”
Supports Common Core Standards (CCSS):
SL 2.1, 2.1a, 2.1b, 2.1c, 2.4
SL 3.1, 3.1a, 3.1b, 3.1c, 3.1d, 3.3, 3.4
SL 4.1, 4.1a, 4.1b, 4.1c, 4.1d
Rockin’ Teacher Materials