This “Follow the Bees” lesson plan will help you and your students create a set of positively-framed classroom rules for your classroom! You will also end up with a classroom management system that will have students rooting for their peers to succeed!
- Full Lesson Plan (4 pages)
- Interactive Student “You Make the Rules” Brainstorming Sheets (2 styles)
- Letter Home to Parents / Student Promise to “Follow the Bees” Contract
- “Follow the Bees” anchor chart, perfect for displaying classroom rules in a fun way, rather than posting a sign that says “Classroom Rules”
- “Honey Money” Classroom Management System
- Explain to students that in [your grade] THEY make the rules!
- Distribute the interactive “You Make the Rules” brainstorming sheets to students, and allow them to complete the sheet independently (a form for younger students, with the broken mid-line is included, as well as a form with solid black line for older students is included.
- Students participate in the rule making process by contributing their ideas for classroom rules while the teacher writes them down on the board.
- Teacher guides students to combine rules into 4 (secretly pre-thought-out) “Be” rules: BE SAFE, BE RESPECTFUL, BE RESPONSIBLE, BE YOUR BEST SELF.
- Students and parents sign the “Follow the Bees” contract, agreeing to follow the bees at school and at home.
- Teacher displays the anchor chart the next day.
- Introducing the classroom management system of earning “Honey Money” is entirely optional, but is there if you want/need it!