This career unit gives students an introduction to the finance career cluster and what a career in this field would be like. This is perfect for a career, technology, CTE or business class.
The included PowerPoint presentation can be used by the teacher for whole class instruction, or provided to the students electronically (or as a printout) for them to review individually. Students use close reading skills with a short informational passage to learn about the career field and answer questions to use critical thinking skills and demonstrate their understanding. Two different puzzles are included to learn different jobs in the career and to reinforce vocabulary skills. A technology based project Microsoft Excel project is included to allow students to use critical thinking and creativity to further explore the career field. A sample of the project in an editable, Microsoft Excel file, is also included. Additionally, a financial analysis group project that can be completed without student computer access to simulate the career and allow students to utilize critical thinking skills and teamwork. Finally, a short reflection questionnaire gives students the opportunity to reflect and analyze their learning as they determine if this career field is of interest to them.
The project was created for grades 7-8 but could easily be used with high school students. The teacher can choose to use some or all of the provided lesson options included in this resource.
This lesson is great for distance learning/remote learning. You can upload it to your school’s learning management system (Google Classroom, Edmodo, Canvas, etc.) or share with students via Google Drive.
Files Included with this Lesson
• Teacher & Student Notes and Resources
• Introduction to Finance Careers PowerPoint presentation (editable)
• Introduction to Finance Careers Research Reading and Questions
• Vocabulary Crossword Puzzle (includes answer key)
• Job Type Word Search Puzzle (includes answer key)
• Technology based Creative Application Project in Microsoft Excel – Instructions, Sample, and Rubric
• Microsoft Excel Project Sample (editable in Microsoft Excel)
• Financial Analysis Career Simulation Group Lesson Instructions, Data and Questions
• Finance Career Reflection Questions (MS Word)