This fall writing prompts resource includes 15 fall writing prompts to get students thinking and writing about the changes that occur with the fall season. There are 5 writing prompts for each of the following categories: opinion writing, informative/explanatory writing, and narrative writing.
We have also included mini versions of each writing prompt that can easily be pasted into an interactive notebook or writing journal and completed therein. Additionally, there is a cover page that can be colored by the students and stapled to their completed writing prompts.
Journal Writing Prompts in this Resource:
- Should schools have Halloween projects and activities? Explain the reasons for your opinion.
- In which fall activities should children participate? Explain the reasons for your opinion.
- What foods should be included in a Thanksgiving feast? Support your choices with reasons for including each food.
- Is trick or treating at Halloween acceptable? Where, when, why, or why not?
- Fire prevention week is in October. Is this an important topic for study at school? Why? Explain what you know about fire safety.
- Describe how to carve a pumpkin. What are the steps? Tell about your design and why you chose it.
- The farmer needs a scarecrow for his garden. Explain the steps in making a scarecrow.
- Plan a fall field trip for your class. Explain what location you would choose and what the class would learn.
- What happens to the plants, insects, and animals in your area during the fall? Tell how they prepare for winter.
- People enjoy colorful fall leaves. Why do the leaves change colors? Explain what you see and know about this process.
- What are your favorite signs of fall? Tell about the sights, smells, and activities that you enjoy in autumn.
- The colorful pile of leaves is rustling. Is there something in there? What could it be? Tell what you imagined.
- Different foods are harvested in the fall. Tell about the foods that you look forward to tasting in the fall.
- Tell about your family’s traditions at Thanksgiving. Where do they gather? What do they serve? What activities do you do together?
- Apples are harvested in the fall. What are some ways your family uses apples for food, fun, decoration, or projects?