This interactive activity will have your students learning all about hippos while practicing essential reading comprehension skills like main idea, context clues, vocabulary, and text features.
- Hippopotamus Dangers
- Gross Facts
- Moms and Babies
- Disappearing Hippos
To complete this activity, students will:
- Read about hippos on each page, using context clues and the word bank to fill in missing information.
- Determine main idea and choose the correct title for each chapter (cut and paste).
- Complete the table of contents by adding titles in the correct spot (cut and paste).
- Use the glossary to understand new vocabulary about hippos.
- Complete a skills application activity – add information to a diagram using information from the text
Includes links to supplemental websites and videos about hippos.
What are Interactive Reading Comprehension Books?
These books provide a great way to integrate social studies or science into your reading instruction. Students will learn all about a specific topic while working with informational text, using text features, determining main idea, and gaining new vocabulary. These are hands-on, cut and glue activity books that can be used in centers, small group, or for independent work. High interest text keeps them engaged.