This Novel Study BUNDLE has everything you need to engage your class in a novel study of A Night Divided, by Jennifer A. Nielsen. Students will respond to higher-level short-answer questions, deepen their vocabulary knowledge, analyze quotes, symbolism, figurative language, and theme. The activities included in this product require students to investigate literary elements (e.g. tone, mood, plot, setting, theme, point of view, conflict, etc.) as well as literary devices & techniques (e.g. flashbacks, foreshadowing, figurative language, imagery, etc.). Students will also make predictions, compare and contrast, summarize, look for patterns, analyze characters, make inferences, and much more! The activities in this novel study encourage students to critically engage with the text.
The, A Night Divided, Novel Study BUNDLE includes the following resources and activities:
- The reader response questions are divided into chapters. Each chapter includes open-ended and short-answer comprehension questions with an answer key. This response packet can be used for whole group discussion / instruction, but it works great in literature circles, to hold group members accountable for reading and discussing the text. It can also be used as a homework assignment, for small group instruction, book clubs, etc.
- Character Analysis; Finding Figurative Language; Chain of Events; Problem & Solution; Visualization/Imagery
- This vocabulary study provides vocabulary activities and quizzes for words that appear in the novel.
- The figurative language study provides an abundance of figurative language examples from the novel that students can analyze. This resource includes figurative language posters (with definitions, why authors use them, examples, & non-examples) for simile, metaphor, personification, idiom, and hyperbole. Figurative language practice sheets are also included. Students read short passages from the novel that contains figurative language. Then, underline the figurative language used, determine the meaning, and explain why the author included it.
- The theme study includes student handouts for 6 different themes from the novel. Each handout includes questions for students to answer that relate to the theme.
- 5 multiple choice and short answer quizzes for the following sections; ch. 1 – 9, ch. 10 – 19; ch. 20 – 28, ch. 29 – 37, ch. 38 – 47. ANSWER KEYS are included.
- Includes 11 essay questions and 10 writing prompts.
- Students will analyze and identify various symbols and the use of symbolism in the book. This is a great activity to split the class into groups and have each group analyze a different symbol.
- Includes 5 activities and 60 quote cards.
- S.T.E.A.M. Activities: Influenced by the novel, A Night Divided, the five S.T.E.A.M.-based activities included in this product focus on the content areas of math, science, engineering, and art. Students will learn about historical events such as the Space Race, the Cold War, the Berlin Wall, and the work of artist Keith Haring, who used artistic expression to advocate for social justice.