Learning about Industrial/Product Design (Manufacturing) Careers gives students an introduction to what individuals in this career field do on the job. This is perfect for a technology, business or marketing class, or a class that focuses on careers. Students learn about the career by viewing a short, teacher-led PowerPoint. Next, they learn more about patents and trademarks as they research these topics on the Internet to answer provided questions. Finally, students work in teams to develop a unique product of their own and build a prototype of the product. The project was created for grades 7-8 but could easily be adapted for older students.
This lesson is great for distance learning/remote learning. You can upload it to your school’s learning management system (Google Classroom, Edmodo, Canvas, etc.) or share with students via Google Drive.
Files Included with this Lesson
• Teacher & Student Notes and Resources
• Introduction to Industrial/Product Design (Manufacturing Careers) PowerPoint
• Learning about Patents and Trademarks Student Handout
• Learning about Patents and Trademarks Answer Key
• Design a New Product Project Expectations, Instructions & Rubric
• Design Worksheet
• Team Sign Up Sheet
• Project Samples