These projects have students using real-world math skills to learn to perform the calculations that are done in various careers within the sixteen career clusters. They will use math skills to learn how to compute measurements, quantities, profit, etc. to solve problems commonly found in that career field.
Are your students always asking “When will be ever USE this??” This short activity shows students a real-world use for the math skills they learn every day.
These lessons were created for 7th and 8th grade but could also be used successfully in upper elementary grades. Fully editable files are included for all lessons.
The bundle includes seventeen (17) different lessons, all of which are also available separately. They are all fully editable and include the student handout, an answer key, and a formula “cheat sheet” for students to assist with problem solving.
The following lessons are included:
· How Engineers Use Math
· How Architects Use Math
· How Fashion Designers Use Math
· How Math is Used in Agriculture Careers
· How Math is Used in Arts, AV, Technology & Communications Careers
· How Math is Used in Business Careers
· How Math is Used in Education Careers
· How Math is Used in Finance Careers
· How Math is Used in Government Careers
· How Math is Used in Health Science Careers
· How Math is Used in Human Services Careers
· How Math is Used in Information Technology Careers
· How Math is Used in Law Careers
· How Math is Used in Hospitality Careers
· How Math is Used in Manufacturing Careers
· How Math is Used in Sales & Marketing Careers
· How Math is Used in Transportation Careers
· Computers with Internet access for each student (or pair of students)
· Software such as Microsoft Word or Google Docs
· Calculators (optional)
Files included (for each career):
· Teacher & Student Resources
· How This Career Uses Math Activity/Handout
· How This Career Uses Math Activity Answer Key
· Formula “Cheat Sheet” Student Handout
Approximate Lesson Duration:
· 1 (50 minute) class period for each lesson.
A preview for ONE of the units is provided (each lesson is similar in content, with different questions specific to that particular career cluster).