Need a fun way to introduce Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets to middle school students? This great lesson incorporates Valentine’s Day themed art as students learn the basics of Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets. First, they’ll create a quick pixel art from a given example and then they’ll create their own! These are also fun lessons to use if you just need something for a one day lesson or to leave with a sub.
I’ve used these with 7th and 8th graders who love creating their own artistic pixel art too!
This lesson is great for distance learning/remote learning. You can upload it to your school’s learning management system (Google Classroom, Edmodo, Canvas, etc.) or share with students via Google Drive.
• Teacher & Student Resources
• Introduction to Pixel Art Lesson (Microsoft Excel project) with tutorial
• Introduction to Pixel Art Lesson (Google Sheets project) with tutorial
• Legends and Sample Pictures for 6 Additional Pictures
• Full Excel (2016) editable files for all pixel art projects (note: these can be opened in Google Sheets too)
Includes instructions and samples for these pixel art designs:
Easy Picture 1: Simple Heart
Easy Picture 2: LOVE
Additional Pictures and Legends
Picture 1: Rose
Picture 2: Cupid
Picture 3: Happy Valentine’s Day Heart
Picture 4: Envelope with Heart