A packet of activities and resources for an engaging unit on the Earth’s natural resources. The packet contains all of the resources below. Aligns to NGSS 4-ESS3-1, NGSS 5-ESS2-2 and NGSS 5-ESS2-1.
1. Where is the Water on Earth? A teacher led demonstration with student activity sheets that shows the distribution of the world’s water (ocean, ice caps, ground water, rivers and lakes). Includes template for a pie chart that shows the proportions of land, ocean, and fresh water.
2. Parts of the Earth Sort Students place 16 images into the geosphere, biosphere, atmosphere, and hydrosphere. Includes coloring worksheet, English-Spanish translation worksheet, word source worksheet.
3. Chocolate Chip Mining. A fun hands-on activity where students simulate mining “coal” chocolate chips from cookies! Directions and student activity worksheet provided where students calculate the costs associated with mining which includes fines for environmental damage. This resource also offers document camera notes and images on coal: simply print and use.
4. Renewable or Nonrenewable Sort Cards 24 sort cards for renewable and nonrenewable energy. With student recording sheet and answer key.
5. Renewable and Nonrenewable Worksheets set includes a matching worksheet, renewable and nonrenewable Venn Diagram, energy resource comparative chart, crossword puzzle, and a T-chart. Answer keys included.
6. Energy Pie Charts a template for a pie chart that shows the percentages of energy use in the US.
7. Water Filtration Columns students construct water filtration columns using simple materials. Students can measuring how fast water can flow through each column. The packet also includes an inquiry activity where students filter a vinegar solution to determine if filtering can remove acid (litmus or pH paper required).
8. Solar Pizza Box Oven Instructions to make a oven out of a pizza box that uses the energy of the sun. Recipes for smores, nachos, and mini-pizzas are provided.
This resource is part of a Natural Resource Unit Bundle
• This product is not editable.
• Please take a minute to read the product description and to view the thumbnails provided for this product.
• All products are for individual use in a single classroom. If you’re interested in sharing with other teachers or parents, please “Buy Licenses to Share” at a discount off the product price.
• All sales on digital resources are considered final.
• If you have technical issues, MbT requests that you contact their support team for technical assistance.
Dr. David Purvis. After obtaining a PhD in Microbiology, I switched careers and became a middle school and elementary science teacher because I loved kids. Almost thirty years later I have taught science in some context to every grade level from pre-K to college education classes. My store offers rigorous resources that align meaningful content, an inquiry approach, NGSS standards, and student interest.
Copyright by Dr. Dave’s Science. All Rights Reserved.