Looking for something exciting for a project based learning unit?
This resource focuses on the study of Birds’ Feet & Legs and it is
Montessori inspired. This is a lesson plan that will guide you through
the process of using biomimicry and steam activities to inspire students
to ask questions, study birds and use creative thinking to explore
There are cards with photos of different types of
bird’s feet that can be used to study feet such as swimming feet,
perching feet, and climbing feet.
1. Introduction to biomimicry
2. Observation birds
3. Acrostic poem
4. Booby webbed feet
5. Make up a dance – invent a dancing robot or toy
6. Invent a toy or a swimming gear
7. Flamingos’ legs and feet – furniture challenge
8. Robot that can walk in mud
9. Design a playground with a carousel inspired by parrots
10. Owl observations
11. Design a flying toy that can pick up things.
12. Story writing – boy or girl who can turn his or her toes around at will.
13. What if you could run like an ostrich?
14. Random Inspiration game
15. Cards with different types of feet
16. How can you use biomimicry in the classroom
17. Links and book tips